About the LINGUAS environment variable

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Thu Jun 23 05:56:34 PDT 2005

Tushar Teredesai wrote:
> On 6/22/05, Alexander E. Patrakov <patrakov at ums.usu.ru> wrote:
>>export LINGUAS="it es"
>
> Many moons ago I had tried this approach, but some packages failed
> during compilation. I did not dig deeper. Found it was easier to just
> remove the unwanted translations.
>
> Maybe the situation has changed now.

Did a check by building the LFS part of the LiveCD (i.e. complete LFS
minus kernel and bootscripts) with LINGUAS set to empty in Chapter 5 and
to "es ru xx" in Chapter 6. The invalid "xx" language has been added
just to provoke build errors. Results:

1) No build errors in LFS-testing. Will post partial BLFS results later
if there is any interest.
2) The following packages in LFS don't obey LINGUAS even when it is set
to non-empty value: libstdc++, kbd. They install all translations, which
is harmless.
3) wget, gcc and glibc install all translations when LINGUAS is set to
empty value. Easily worked around by setting LINGUAS to something
invalid like "xx".

WARNING: the test isn't really clean because the current LiveCD
buildscripts forget to set LC_ALL to POSIX in Chapter 6.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov