/etc/inputrc textual suggestion

Archaic archaic at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jun 23 00:31:32 PDT 2005

The inputrc page located at:

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/testing/chapter07/inputrc.html

is currently loaded with much more text than is needed, IMO, and is
rather convoluted, too. Likewise, it refers to an /etc/skel directory
which LFS does not create (nor does it create any regular users). I am
suggesting the following text to replace it:

###########################

The inputrc file handles keyboard mapping for specific situations. This
file is the startup file used by Readline - the input-related library -
used by Bash and most other shells.

Most people do not need user-specific keyboard mappings so the command
below creates a global /etc/inputrc used by everyone who logs in. If you
later decide you need to override the defaults on a per-user basis, you
can create a .inputrc file in the user's home directory with the
modified mappings.

For more information on how to edit the inputrc file, see the bash info
page under the Readline Init File section. The readline info page is
also a good source of information.

Below is a generic global inputrc along with comments to explain what
the various options do. Note that comments cannot be on the same line as
commands. Create the file using the following command:

###########################

FIXME: startup or start-up?

FIXME: The following comment needs rewritten

# Make sure we don't output everything on the 1 line
set horizontal-scroll-mode Off

Suggested:

# Allow the command prompt to wrap to the next line
set horizontal-scroll-mode Off

Any opinions?

--
Archaic