Please take my apologies for Bug 1516

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Tue Jun 21 03:52:49 PDT 2005

Sorry for opening an invalid Bug (1516, "Font set improperly on
framebuffer console") and making noise around it. Many thanks to Jim
Gifford who asked me to retest the bug and resisted to the new console
script as much as he could. (technically, the new script is also
correct, just overkill).

Jim, do you still want me to post a summary on other issues that we
discussed on IRC today?

1) i18n as a book material vs hint (I really don't want to set a policy
"if at least one editor doesn't understand this, then it must be a hint,
not book material")
2) the book not mentioning the kernel NLS modules and their role
(answer: VFAT filesystem, not console, although the help text in the
kernel config is a bit misleading).
3) the "console.html" page being non-educational
4) Do we want to insert an "if" on ISO-8859-1 vs other 8-bit encodings
(the difference being the need for a special console font).
5) General relations between fonts, NLS modules, locales, filesystem
and apps (just an introduction for English speakers, maybe a hint, but
at least a part of this should be directly in the book, e.g. in the form
of the present "console.html" page)
6) The "LC_ALL is dangerous" myth (maybe a correction to the current
UTF-8 warning on the glibc page is needed).

Also the following has not been discussed, but also falls into the same
topic:

7) Exact consequences of --disable-nls switch and the LINGUAS
environment variable during the build (a new page for LFS-6.2 or 7.0).

--
Alexander E. Patrakov