SBU calculations

GN gnarvaja at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 10:14:04 PDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-15 at 22:57 -0600, Archaic wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 11:47:47PM -0500, Randy McMurchy wrote:
> >
> > As a builder, and especially as a BLFS editor, I want to run
> > these 3 steps individually, and examine the output of each log
> > file. Sure, this is tedious, but I don't care. If make fails
> > because I added a dependency that chokes the build, and then
> > immediately run make install, I'll get who-knows-what installed
> > on the system.
>
> Don't the &&'s take care of you? I actually do things in a more tedious
> fashion, but differently from you. I build and install twice. Once
> running each step individually and then pouring over the log output,
> then I uninstall it and do a more automated build to get timing and
> size. Then I diff the log output. But after that, it's always automated
> and the initial logs are kept for comparison even with future versions.

I have to agree w/Randy that the SBUs are a rough approximation and
usefull as such. I use a 3rd method by timing configure-make-make
install using &&s for processes that usually take 3~5 SBUs and divided
by the number in the book to get the value of 1 SBU. Then, when I see 11
SBUs, I know if have time to have a full meail or just a sandwich for
lunch.

My $.02

GN aka SeattleGaucho