Kernel 2.6.12

Steve Crosby steve.crosby at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 03:36:52 PDT 2005

On 20 Jun 2005, you wrote in lfs.dev:

> Not sure if this is related.
>
> I upgraded my old 586 to kernel 2.6.11.12 with lfs-bootscripts-3.2.2
> (+ iproute etc) - the base lfs on it is 5.1.  It has two eth ports, as
> it's my firewall.  The sequence of initialisation  (ifup's) is now
> critical.

Not sure about why you were seeing bootscript differences, but you can
control the order of interface raising by using custom udev rules to
"name" the interfaces as they are discovered. I use this technique on my
i586 firewall to ensure the firewall rules apply the correct rules to the
local and internet interfaces.

Something like the following: (obviously, using a real MAC Address for each
NIC ;)

KERNEL="eth*", SYSFS{address}="MA:CA:DD:RE:SS:00", name="internal"
KERNEL="eth*", SYSFS{address}="MA:CA:DD:RE:SS:01", name="external"

I can then reliably assume that all processing on the interface named
external refers to the internet facing NIC ;)

- --
Steve Crosby