Kernel 2.6.12

TheOldFellow theoldfellow at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 23:11:16 PDT 2005

Mark Carey wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Have upgraded the kernel on my SVN-20050319 desktop machine from
> 2.6.11 to 2.6.12 and now running the localnet script I get the
> following
>
> [root at jersey:~]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/localnet start
> Bringing up the loopback interface...
> RTNETLINK answers: File exists                                    [ FAIL ]
> Setting hostname to jersey...                                          [  OK  ]
> [root at jersey:~]#
>
> All appears to work,  google doesnt help a lot on this one, lots of
> spurious noise however when I comment out the line,
>
>               ip addr add 127.0.0.1/8 label lo dev lo
>
> In the localnet script (/etc/rc.d/init.d/localnet) prevents the error
> and `ip show addr` shows no change in address characteristics for my
> loopback interface.
>
> Can anyone suggest a reason as to why commenting out this line is not
> a good idea?

Not sure if this is related.

I upgraded my old 586 to kernel 2.6.11.12 with lfs-bootscripts-3.2.2 (+
iproute etc) - the base lfs on it is 5.1.  It has two eth ports, as it's
my firewall.  The sequence of initialisation  (ifup's) is now critical.

If the local network (ipv4) is brought up before the external network
(dhclient), then the local network returns OK, but in fact does not have
an IP assigned.  Re-running the ifup corrects this.

As I've never run a  2.6 kernel on it before (I upgraded to support a
new USB printer), I can't say which element caused the change.

R.