Kernel 2.6.12

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Jun 19 17:46:17 PDT 2005

Andrew Benton wrote:
> Mark Carey wrote:
>
> The solution is to put it in front of the previous line so it reads
>
> ip addr add 127.0.0.1/8 label lo dev lo
> ip link set lo up
>
> See the current version of the bootscripts,
> http://downloads.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs-bootscripts-3.2.2.tar.bz2

Has anybody dug in to see why this works?  It does not seem correct as
is.  A physical link must exist to add an address to it, even on virtual
devices, correct?  I have never seen the error here, so I'm not of much
help in troubleshooting.  I suspect that lo already exists since it's
not a module but basically somebody who sees the problem must remove
/etc/rc.d/rcsysinit.d/S80localnet and boot to runlevel 1 to look at the
state of lo before the script executes (the output of 'ip link show' is
what is needed).

If I'm correct, then there is no need to up the lo device.  Something
like this would be appropriate:

        start)
                boot_mesg "Bringing up the loopback interface..."
                ip link show | grep "lo:" > /dev/null
                if [ "$?" -eq "0" ]; then
                        ip link set lo up
                fi
                ip addr add 127.0.0.1/8 label lo dev lo
                evaluate_retval

                boot_mesg "Setting hostname to ${HOSTNAME}..."
                hostname ${HOSTNAME}
                evaluate_retval
                ;;

The same should also be true for other network devices.  BTW, is there
any thing similar between affected users?  DHCP or maybe a particular
driver on the 1st real adapter?

-- DJ Lucas