Kernel 2.6.12

Mark Carey mark.carey at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 01:59:03 PDT 2005

Hi,

Have upgraded the kernel on my SVN-20050319 desktop machine from
2.6.11 to 2.6.12 and now running the localnet script I get the
following

[root at jersey:~]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/localnet start
Bringing up the loopback interface...
RTNETLINK answers: File exists                                    [ FAIL ]
Setting hostname to jersey...                                          [  OK  ]
[root at jersey:~]#

All appears to work,  google doesnt help a lot on this one, lots of
spurious noise however when I comment out the line,

              ip addr add 127.0.0.1/8 label lo dev lo

In the localnet script (/etc/rc.d/init.d/localnet) prevents the error
and `ip show addr` shows no change in address characteristics for my
loopback interface.

Can anyone suggest a reason as to why commenting out this line is not
a good idea?

Regards,

Mark Carey