SBU calculations

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Jun 17 17:33:13 PDT 2005

Bruce Dubbs wrote:

> I recommend just establishing a policy and using it as specified.  The
> details of the policy are not that important.  Documenting and following
> the policy is important.
>
>   -- Bruce

I'd guestimate that approx 90% or more of users (probably all
developers) use the the first cmmi for binutils as the baseline SBU just
because it's always been done that way.  Change it or don't, but justify
the change.  It's just an _estimate_ anyway.  Document it, and run with
it.  Either way, it's not going to affect the SBUs too much (5%?).  The
time of all commands with '&&s' should be sufficient, and the only
exception might be the one that sets the stage for the rest, first pass
binutils (because it's always been done that way).  Configuration times
should probably not be included, unless they make for a significant
amount of time spent with the package, and do so in such a way that the
users' finger speeds can't greatly affect the time (glibc-locales comes
to mind).

-- DJ Lucas