Gzip package install is not complete in LFS

Bryan Kadzban bryan at kadzban.is-a-geek.net
Thu Jun 16 14:48:01 PDT 2005

Archaic wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 16, 2005 at 08:27:55PM +0300, Martins Galenieks wrote:
>
>> I noted that Gzip package does not contain one more important line.
>> The .tar.Z packages can't be unpacked with /bin/tar -xf option (in
>> tar-1.15.1 and newer) and therefore I have a recommendation to add
>> the following line to the Gzip package in LFS (HLFS and ALFS too).
>
> This sounds like a failure with tar. Can you provide a link to this
> solution (preferably from an upstream developer of tar or gzip)?

Doesn't tar require the -Z option to decompress .tar.Z files?  I thought
it did.  Or is this the "tar-1.15.1 and newer" comment?  The info page
(1.15.1) doesn't say anything about automagically guessing the file type...

The -Z option does require a way to execute "compress", though, and that
can be a symlink pointing at gzip.  (gzip already installs an
"uncompress" symlink, pointing at gunzip, but apparently that isn't what
tar needs.)