Cross-LFS build method

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jun 16 14:26:47 PDT 2005

Jeremy Huntwork wrote:

> One drawback is that we'd be cross-compiling every package (which we
> don't currently do) and some would need to be hacked a bit to get that
> to work. However, it can be done, and it has been done.

OK, I'm probably missing something major.  Let's say you've got a really
nice shiny Athlon 64 4000+.  You want to get LFS onto some old Sparc box
you happen to have lying around.  Once you've cross-compiled the
compiler in temp-tools using your AMD64, it'll have compiled binaries
targeted for the Sparc processor.  Now, how is your AMD64 going to
execute those Sparc instructions?