SBU calculations

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jun 15 21:47:47 PDT 2005

Archaic wrote these words on 06/15/05 23:30 CST:
> On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 08:20:04PM -0500, Randy McMurchy wrote:
>
>>This is of course, going on Matt and Archaic's recommendation that
>>the SBU factoring doesn't change until after LFS-6.1.
>
> Randy, what is your take on the proposal for post-6.1?

It really doesn't matter to me. SBU is just a rough guideline
anyway. If post 6.1 changes to use the other two binutils commands,
it just decreases the SBU time in all the other LFS and BLFS
packages by a hair.

To answer your question, I don't think the last two binutils
commands belong in the timing of the SBU, as these two commands
aren't involved in the build process of the *binutils* pass1
chapter 5 package. These two commands are used as part of the
setup for binutils in pass2. To me I see this different than
you.

Where I am confused, is to what extent of the "gray boxes" as
you phrase it, do we count in the BLFS side when calculating?

Do we stop after the installation section concludes, or do we
use the steps included in the configuration section?

More than that though, is my personal way of calculating the
SBU times, I must admit I do it in a most peculiar way. I don't
run configure-make-make install all at one time and time it.

I take separate times for the 3 steps (more steps in unusual
cases) and add them. Why?

As a builder, and especially as a BLFS editor, I want to run
these 3 steps individually, and examine the output of each log
file. Sure, this is tedious, but I don't care. If make fails
because I added a dependency that chokes the build, and then
immediately run make install, I'll get who-knows-what installed
on the system.

This is not worth it to me. I like to be very precise and know
that when I run make install, it is after a totally clean build.

So I run configure-make-make install in separate steps and add
the times together. If I had to now change things, so that
everything in "gray boxes" was needed to be added in, this
would be simply too much work for me to do correctly.

However, it is my experience that you can run all the configuration
and nic-nac post-installation tasks (even installing docs during
the installation commands) after make install in one second or less.

So the configuration steps really are negligible time-wise.

Sorry for the long post. My take is that it doesn't matter if
the last two binutils commands are used, I'll just adjust times
accordingly. But I'm not sure I'll ever time anything after the
make install commands, unless it really proves to be time-consuming.

--
Randy

23:31:00 up 74 days, 23:04, 2 users, load average: 0.07, 0.11, 0.10