GCC 4.x

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jun 14 12:45:19 PDT 2005

Jim Gifford wrote:
> Matt, Jeremy, and LFS-Dev,
>
>    What are you feelings on cross-lfs moving to GCC 4.x?

There's already a gcc4 branch, but it's not seen any commits yet.  It's
now become outdated with regard to trunk.  I'll wait for gcc-4.0.1 to
come out (they're just ironing out the last couple of showstoppers),
then we'll re-cut the gcc4 branch.  I don't think getting a gcc-4.x
version of a trunk-based book into a workable state will take too long.
  Once it's ready on the branch, feel free to merge the stuff into
cross-lfs.  I'll hold off merging to trunk until the BLFS project is
ready, as I mentioned when the original gcc4 branch was created.

If those of you who have already built systems with gcc-4.x could send
BLFS related patches to the BLFS guys, or make them otherwise visible to
the LFS project, I'd appreciate it.  I don't want folks to have to trawl
the various distro lists/forums to dig the patches up.

Regards,

Matt.