GCC 4.x

TheOldFellow theoldfellow at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 00:43:57 PDT 2005

Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
> Jim Gifford wrote:
>
>> Matt, Jeremy, and LFS-Dev,
>>
>>    What are you feelings on cross-lfs moving to GCC 4.x?
>>
>>    Or do you want to continue the testing with 3.4.4, then after
>> that's completly stablized, then move to
>>    GCC 4.x?
>>
>>      I've looked at what Ryan has done, not to many things to change.
>

> As tempting as that sounds, cross-lfs is complicated enough as it is.
> I'd suggest getting gcc4 into trunk and once we've got it building
> smoothly, *then* update cross-lfs.
>
> --
> JH

I built a GCC-4 based system.  There are patches required, yes, but not
too many, even for BLFS.  They are easy to find, as Red Hat has done a
lot of the work for FC4.

My advice is to get Cross-LFS into testing ASAP, Make an experimental
release with 3.x.x very quickly after 6.1 - this lets the world start
getting the real bugs out (the ones we can't see because twe are too close).

And then put Gcc-4 into it.  (This presumes that Cross-LFS will become
the next LFS release after 6.1)

I don't think we have the manpower to maintain two mainstream LFS books.

R.