Duplicate drivers and hotplug, aka "Live CD doesn't detect RTL-8139"

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jun 7 03:49:25 PDT 2005

Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:

> a) drop 8139cp (in preference to 8139too), eepro100 (in preference to
> e100), dmfe (in preference to tulip), xircom_tulip_cb (in preference to
> xircom_cb, and it doesn't load anyway because of missing symbols). If
> you disagree because this breaks your network access, please tell.
>
> b) apply Debian patch (attached) that causes hotplug to try loading all
> matching PCI drivers instead of stopping at the first one (even if it is
> blacklisted). Amend the blacklist. Requires testing by owners of
> RTL-8139C+ cards for which both drivers work.
>
> What is more correct here?

Hrm. That's a tough choice. It seems that whenever I decide to drop
support for a certain device, someone shows up and says, 'why isn't
there support for my device?'. So, I suppose we should at least test out
option 'b' first before we just drop those modules (with the possible
exception of the xircom_tulip_cb module, which as you pointed out,
doesn't load.)  Anyone out there have the RTL-8139C+ card Alexander
mentioned and would be willing to help us test?

(CC'ing lfs-dev to improve our chances of having someone with that card
read this request for help.)

--
JH