About SBUs in cross-lfs

M.Canales.es manuel at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Jun 6 12:21:37 PDT 2005

Hi !

Due that in the new cross-lfs books is possible to build the temp tools on a
different machine than the final system, we can't use any more the first
package builded in the book as SBU unit (the Cross Binutils at "Constructing
Cross-Compile Tools". Well, actually the first in cross-lfs is
Linux-Libc-Headers).

Then, I see this roads:

.- To remove SBUs. I don't agree but is a possibility.

.- To use two SBUs: one for temp tools, based on Cross Binutils, and another
for final system, based on ???? (see below).

.- To remove SBUs for temp tools. Meassure SBUs only for final system packages
based on the build time for the first package builded after the reboot/chroot
step. That is my prefered way.

That package is Tcl installed in /tools. Currently in LFS-SVN the SBU for Tcl
is 0.9. In BLFS-SVN is 0.28 + 0.73 for the test suite. Thus making mandatory
to run the test suite on Tcl we can have a SBU unit very similar (if not
identical) to the current one.

--
Manuel Canales Esparcia