RFC: GDBM or Berkeley DB?

Jason Gurtz jason at tommyk.com
Tue Dec 27 11:52:08 PST 2005

On 12/27/2005 01:50, Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
<snip explanation>

That was very thorough, thank you.

While it would be nice to avoid another dependency the reality is that I
usually end up with both GDBM and BDB on my systems.  Yea, I know that's
not really an argument...  To me the most convincing argument is that BDB
has greater potential for use by third party software added later in BLFS.

It is worrisome about the seemingly ever-changing API, but not always
upgrading to the latest BDB could help alleviate that.  They don't seem to
have a bad history of many security updates that would necessitate
upgrading often. :)

~Jason