adding 2.6.15 to trunk

Archaic archaic at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Dec 22 11:27:50 PST 2005

On Thu, Dec 22, 2005 at 11:21:41AM -0800, Jim Gifford wrote:
> Previously we have said no release versions of the kernel. I think we
> should stick with that policy.

I'm assuming you meant pre-release versions. Generally I agree with that
policy. However, my rationale for this proposal is as follows:

1) Hotplug/coldplug is currently broken in LFS.
2) There have been 6 release candidates so far.
3) Numerous security vulnerabilities in 2.6.12

If all we were doing was updating a kernel just because it was the
latest, I'd say no. If all we were doing was updating a kernel to add
some extra feature, I'd say no. If just for security, I'd say backport a
patch. But, this isn't just to get the latest kernel, nor is it just to
add new features. It is to correct the currently broken state of udev
(albeit by the introduction of a new feature which we desperately need).

Put it all together and add that the release is very soon in coming, I
think this is a win-win.

--
Archaic

Hardened Linux From Scratch