FC4 as a host [Was: Re: file format not recognized from ld right from the start????]

Kevin Barnard kevin.barnard at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 07:33:43 PST 2005

I used 6.1.1  that has the patch.  (
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/stable/chapter05/binutils-pass1.html)
This patched 2 files I think, I'm at work away from the machine so I can't
check for sure until later.

The normal make works fine and ld does compile and install.  It's the
secondary compile with LIB_PATH that breaks.

Thinking about this, that would seem a tad bit strange to me but I read
ahead the note (
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/stable/chapter05/adjusting.html)
and fiqured I could skip past this for now.  I already know FC4 is quirky so
I figured once I got a good tool chain I would be save.

The error repeats itself with the GCC compile which kinda of blows the
theory of getting of good tools out of the water.

I'll be happy to try and debug.  The other option I was thinking of was to
go ahead and bring bintools and gcc up to development.  I'm not sure how
likely that is to break evrything else though.

On 12/1/05, Jeremy Huntwork <jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> Andrew Benton wrote:
>
> > Bing. You hit the nail on the head there. As Richard said, Fedora Core 4
> > isn't a suitable distro to build the stable version of the book. It
> > should work OK for the development version but that may not be suitable
> > if it's your first attempt at LFS. I've had good results building from
> > Ubuntu. I like Ubuntu because it's all on one CD. Like the LFS live CD
> > in fact.
> > One important point. If you get an error building binutils, don't think
> > it doesn't matter and try to build gcc. Fix the errors as they come up.
>
> Erm. Didn't we fix this issue for 6.1.1? (Of course development should
> be fine, too). We now patch binutils:
>
> "If you are building from a host running Gcc-4 or later, it is necessary
> to patch the first build of this version of Binutils so that it can be
> compiled by the host system."
>
> Of course that's not true for 6.1, but since as of yesterday, stable is
> 6.1.1, FC4 *should* be suitable as a host.
>
> --
> JH
> --

Kevin Barnard

"Great Beauty, great strength, and great Riches,
are really and truly of no great Use;
a right Heart exceeds all." -- Benjamin Franklin