FC4 as a host [Was: Re: file format not recognized from ld right from the start????]

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Dec 1 07:04:50 PST 2005

Andrew Benton wrote:

> Bing. You hit the nail on the head there. As Richard said, Fedora Core 4
> isn't a suitable distro to build the stable version of the book. It
> should work OK for the development version but that may not be suitable
> if it's your first attempt at LFS. I've had good results building from
> Ubuntu. I like Ubuntu because it's all on one CD. Like the LFS live CD
> in fact.
> One important point. If you get an error building binutils, don't think
> it doesn't matter and try to build gcc. Fix the errors as they come up.

Erm. Didn't we fix this issue for 6.1.1? (Of course development should
be fine, too). We now patch binutils:

"If you are building from a host running Gcc-4 or later, it is necessary
to patch the first build of this version of Binutils so that it can be
compiled by the host system."

Of course that's not true for 6.1, but since as of yesterday, stable is
6.1.1, FC4 *should* be suitable as a host.

--
JH