Remove inetutils from LFS [was Re: GCC-4.0.1]

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Aug 20 14:44:48 PDT 2005

Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> My initial reaction is that it is not really a viable candidate for LFS.

Understood and agreed.  gcc-4.0.1 complains bitterly about it too, of
course.  I doubt it offers anything like the interface offered (and
therefore probably expected) by more modern implementations, and is also
unlikely to work correctly on the variety of architectures being offered
in cross-lfs.

> It would be easier to use the inetutils and compile only the ping
> program there.

I think that's the most viable option, yes.  iputils was mentioned by Ag
Hatzim, and is what my host (ubuntu) uses.  Unfortunately, the very
first thing I see in the Makefile (and what caused my initial
compilation attempt to fail) is:

KERNEL_INCLUDE=/usr/src/linux/include

Ouch!  It wants /usr/src/linux!

Jim, do you know of any issues with inetutils' `ping' on your
multi-arch/cross-lfs builds?  I think I remember you mentioning a BUS
ERROR you were getting on a Sparc box.  Did you get that sorted?

Regards,

Matt.