GCC-4.0.1

Chris Staub chris at beaker67.com
Sat Aug 20 13:57:41 PDT 2005

Matthew Burgess wrote:
> Randy McMurchy wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I would like to propose a consideration for LFS to move towards the
>> GCC-4 branch as the default LFS build. There are issues, but none that
>> are really show-stoppers.
>

> Well, there's currently three issues I'm wanting to see fixed/addressed
> before considering a GCC-4 based release.
>
> 3) 'cfdisk -P t' segfaults on particular partition layouts (at least I'm
> guessing it's dependent on partition layouts, as reproducing it appears
> to be 'tricky' at best).  I've tried working with Chris Beaker on this,
> but we were unable to reliably trigger/fix the bug.  Changing the
> optimisation from -O2 to -O makes the problem go away.  Compiling with
> '-O -funit-at-a-time' triggers it again (and it's the only one of the
> '-O2' level optimisation passes that does so).  Compiling with '-O2
> -fno-unit-at-a-time' still segfaults though. (1604).
>
> Cheers,
>
> Matt.

I confirmed that it does in fact have to do with the partition layout. I
originally had hda1,2,3.4 - hda1 was a Windows partition, hda2 and 3
linux, and hda4 swap. I removed hda1 (not like I use Windows anymore
anyway...) and recompiled util-linux (by the book - default compiler
settings). It segfaulted again. Then I removed hda4 and recompiled again
- it worked fine.