[RFC] Add CrackLib to Chapter 6 LFS

Justin R. Knierim lfs at lfs-matrix.net
Fri Aug 5 00:28:41 PDT 2005

Randy McMurchy wrote:

>No, you must explicitly use --with-libcrack for Shadow to link against
>the installed libraries.

After checking this, you are correct sir.  I do believe the "./configure
--help" output is misleading, since I assumed "default if found" would
enable it if found.

Sorry, but I haven't changed my opinion.  A note such as the sentence
below, or simply a link to the security section of BLFS is sufficient IMO.

"If you would like to use cracklib to enforce secure passwords, please
build cracklib from BLFS <linky>, then build shadow as per LFS adding
"--with-libcrack" to configure."

Justin