[RFC] Add CrackLib to Chapter 6 LFS

Randy McMurchy LFS-User at mcmurchy.com
Thu Aug 4 16:46:52 PDT 2005

Jim Gifford wrote these words on 08/04/05 18:33 CST:
> There any many different methods for user authentication and password
> setup. If it's just about creating a secure password, we should add
> npasswd. http://www.utexas.edu/cc/unix/software/npasswd

Not to argue your position on this Jim, but do you really think it is
better to *replace* the passwd, chfn and chsh programs with other
programs, instead of just installing a library and using our existing
package to natively interface with this library to accomplish the same
purpose?

Now it might very well be that the Npasswd programs don't *replace*
the existing ones, instead just sit beside them. If this is the case,
the system would be just as insecure as it was before installing
Npasswd.

If it *does* replace those programs, please explain how making users
learn new commands, just to change their passwords, make the system
better than if we used CrackLib.

In a technical discussion or a debate, folks don't just say, "Oh no,
this way is better than your way!". You have to provide technical
details on why you think it is better.

--
Randy

18:40:00 up 124 days, 18:13, 2 users, load average: 0.33, 0.13, 0.27