zlib symlink from /usr

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Mon Aug 1 07:43:40 PDT 2005

 This is prompted by upgrading zlib to 1.2.3 (thanks to Matt for the
heads up).  Everything in my system using a shared libz is linked
against libz.so.1 (good), but we persist in offering packages a symlink
from /usr/lib/libz.so to /usr/lib/libz.so.1.2.3 [ png bit me when I
overlooked that in my scripts ].

 Should this symlink not point to /lib/libz.so.1 (itself a symlink, but
updated by zlib whenever it is installed) ?  Alternatively, is the
symlink from /usr/lib totally unnecessary ?

Ken