Typos and Phrasing

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Apr 29 23:22:28 PDT 2005

Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Peter Ennis wrote:
>
>>Version SVN-20050417
>>
>> 4.6. About the Test Suites
>>
>>s/The test suites for GCC and Glibc can take a very long time to
>>complete, especially on slower hardware, but are strongly
>>recommended./The test suites for GCC and Glibc can take a very long
>>time to complete, especially on slower hardware, but it is strongly
>>recommended to run them./
>

> I like the original better.
>   -- Bruce

I agree, the original is better in this case...read the sentence without
the unneeded, but useful, comma separated text. (comma-separated??
sounds right but didn't look correct when typed)

The test suites for GCC and Glibc can take a very long time to complete
but are strongly recommended.

vs.

The test suites for GCC and Glibc can take a very long time to complete,
but, it is strongly recommended to run them.

Thanks for the suggestion, and please keep them coming.  Grammar and
punctuation are probably the least discussed topics concerning the book.
 You can probably see, from this message alone, that I'm perfectly
capable of making any English teacher cringe with disgust, which is the
very reason I don't usually jump in on these topics.

-- DJ Lucas