SATA disks and Chapter 8. Making the LFS System Bootable

Mark A. Nicolosi m.a.nicolosi at att.net
Tue Apr 26 10:51:19 PDT 2005

Hi, I just built a new amd64 system (old computer was a 400MHz pentium)
and it has SATA hard drive. While building an LFS I noticed that it
wasn't entirely clear in "Chapter 8. Making the LFS System Bootable"
that /dev/sda would still be hd0 in grub. After this paragraph:

Grub uses its own naming structure for drives and partitions in the form
of (hdn,m), where n is the hard drive number and m is the partition
number, both starting from zero. For example, partition hda1 is (hd0,0)
to Grub and hdb3 is (hd1,2). In contrast to Linux, Grub does not
consider CD-ROM drives to be hard drives. For example, if using a CD on
hdb and a second hard drive on hdc, that second hard drive would still
be (hd1).

I think the book should mention something like "If you're computer has
SCSI disks and you don't have any IDE disks, sda would be (hd0)." But
made to fit better into the paragraph. Hope that makes sense ;-)

BTW, it's amazing being to build a kernel in about a minute and a half
opposed to an hour and a half.

--
Mark A. Nicolosi