Reboot?

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Apr 26 06:06:35 PDT 2005

Hi All,

Just wanted to clarify something. In the current cross-lfs book that is
under development, as well as some of the threads in discussing the
cross-lfs book, we've been using the term 'Reboot' when talking about
that point in the build where we've been compiling cross-tools for a
different arch, and now we want to build the rest of the system on that
arch.

I see that as a potential point of confusion. While we *could* reboot
the machine if we're building for the same arch (or same family, i.e.,
x86 > x86_64) using the term 'Reboot' won't necessarily be always
accurate, esp in those cases where we started building the cross-tools
on a totally different arch.

Perhaps I'm being a bit technical here, but I think we should say what
we really mean. IMO, "Reboot" just doesn't quite fit. Perhaps "Boot
Target Machine with New Kernel" - I know that's a bit long, but I'm open
to suggestions.

--
Jeremy Huntwork