Planning for Cross-LFS/Multi-Architecture 7.x Release

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Sat Apr 23 16:42:08 PDT 2005

Jim Gifford wrote:

> For the 7.x release we are planning to release a cross compiled
> multi-architecture book. The build process will allow you to build for
> any architecture to any other architecture. So you will be able to build
> a PowerPC starter system on a Pentium 4 and vice versa.

Every time this topic comes up I get a bunch of folks contacting me asking
for my thoughts. I've already recorded my views and they're archived here:

  http://www.diy-linux.org/pipermail/diy-linux-dev/2004-December/000243.html

Nothing much has changed since last December, except that I'm now
convinced more than ever that cross compiling is always going to be a
kludge-fest. If you guys want to turn LFS into a hack-a-thon, go for it.
But IMHO you'll lose one of LFS's best attributes, and that is gently
introducing newbies to an easy-to-understand build recipe.

IMHO a saner approach would be to turn the cross LFS stuff into a separate
doc. There is a distinct lack of good, easy-to-digest cross compile
documentation out there. Ryan obviously has plenty of expertise in cross
compiling and transferring that knowledge into an LFS doc would be a great
thing. Folks who want adventure could play with the cross stuff. Folks who
just want to be build good ol LFS could stick to the tried and true main doc.

My 2 cents.

Regards
Greg
--