bootscript logging conundrum

Nick Matteo kundor at member.fsf.org
Wed Apr 20 09:49:40 PDT 2005

On Wednesday 20 April 2005 02:15, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> DJ Lucas wrote:
> > BTW, just to clarify, I had refered to it as a 'hack' myself, not
> > Archaic.
>
> Don't you know the definition of 'hack'?
>
> n.
>
> 1. A clever or elegant technical accomplishment, especially one with a
> playful or prankish bent. A clever routine in a computer program,
> especially one which uses tools for purposes other than those for which
> they were intended, might be considered a hack. Students at technical
> universities, such as MIT, are famous for performing elaborate hacks,
> such as turning a fourteen-story building into a giant Tetris game by
> placing computer-controlled lighting panels in its windows.
>
>   -- Bruce

Also
1. Originally, a quick job that produces what is
   needed, but not well.

Which is the sense used here.

The dominant definition of a "hack" as a noun is still that -- a quick and
dirty workaround to a problem that works but isn't elegant.  The dominant
definition of "hack" as a verb is the sense you give -- to program with
passion/playfulness/engagement.  The dominant definition of the noun
"hacker," within our circles, is one who hacks in the sense just given -- in
mixed contexts it has to compete with the society-at-large definition which
is synonymous with "cracker."

;-)