Planning for Cross-LFS/Multi-Architecture 7.x Release

jeremy at jutley.org jeremy at jutley.org
Tue Apr 19 09:40:10 PDT 2005

> Randy McMurchy wrote:
>
>> Jim Gifford wrote these words on 04/18/05 16:03 CST:
>>

>>> Another issue will be after the tools are built we will be building a
> cross-compiled kernel, so we can boot into the architecture we are
> building for and complete the build process. There are a few pitfalls to
> this.
>
> =========================snip=================================
>
> Hello, I'm a (normally) silent observer - been building LFS since 2.x...
> and
> having lots of fun.

Good to hear - that's about the time I got my start as well.

> Having read the discussion regarding cross-compiling I'm a bit
> confused... How are you supposed to get the new cross-compiled
> tools and kernel onto the "other architecture" (Presumably this is a
> different machine? Will this process require the making of a CD or
> something?

What Ryan has done is, at the point of rebooting, tar things up, transfer
them over to the new machine, extract it back out, and boot it.  That's
probably the simplest solution.

> Will this new methodology work with nALFS? I use it all the time.

I don't see why not...there would have to be some adjustments made (you'd
probably have to build nALFS as part of chapter 5, and have separate
profiles.

> I'd also like to concur with Randy. I build a new LFS fairly regularly
> just for fun and would probably give up if I couldn't use xterms and
> cut-&-paste.

I'm the same way.  I use nALFS often, so much that I keep my own personal
lfs/blfs profiles in a subversion repository.  But still, on occasion, I
like to build by hand, just to watch things scroll by.

> Just my twopenny's worth.
>
> PS - I have three machines here:
> A very old AMD K6-450Mhz which has got me to LFS6.0 and runs fine.
> An old Dell (upgraded) P4 400Mhz FSB 2.6Ghz with RDRAM (This is the
> machine I now use for LFS).
> And a shiny new AMD 64 3200+.
>
> I'd be interested/happy  in trying to build a 64bit version for that as
> it only has M$oft on it at the mo and I've a 200Gb disk to fill.

It's coming - as I said in a previous email to Bruce, I'm working now on
extracting the commands for AMD64 builds out of the cross scripts.  If
you're really desparate to get a linux on there, Gentoo's x86_64 is a
pretty good solution.

-J-