Planning for Cross-LFS/Multi-Architecture 7.x Release

Jim Gifford lfs at jg555.com
Tue Apr 19 09:16:10 PDT 2005

Alan Lord wrote:

>Having read the discussion regarding cross-compiling I'm a bit
>confused... How are you supposed to get the new cross-compiled
>tools and kernel onto the "other architecture" (Presumably this is a
>different machine? Will this process require the making of a CD or
>something?

It depends on the machine, for the MIPS based machines, I just added
another hard drive
and copied it over since MIPS using x86 style partitions. Others have
tarred up the
tools build extracted it. Another method is set the PC to do a netboot.
Most people understand
the limitations of there machines. After we get this process out, we
could probably get
hints out there on who to do the copy over.

The nfsboot method will probably be a good hint, since it will work with
all the bootloaders
we currently have in the mulit-architecture book. In fact I will take it
on, after I get the
prototype cross-lfs book done.

>Will this new methodology work with nALFS? I use it all the time.

Yes but it the profile will need to be created.

--
------
jim at linuxfromscratch.org
lfs at jg555.com