Planning for Cross-LFS/Multi-Architecture 7.x Release

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Apr 19 04:55:35 PDT 2005

Jeremy Utley wrote:
> Randy McMurchy wrote:
>

>> Cool!
>>
>> But don't make it a hint, make it part of the book. :-)
>>

> Ideally, yes, it should be in the book.  However, if for some reason
> that's unfeasable, because of limitations in the XML or whatever the
> case may be, then my feeling is it could be easily written up as a hint
> format - it'd probably only be a 2 paragraph hint, something like:

As I understand things, the new book will already be in some ways a
dynamic book, as it will blend features of the current multi-arch setup.
The basic build process will be the same for all archs, but some minor
details change when building LFS for different archs, header files and
bootloaders being a prime example, not to mention arch-specific patches.
The way the multi-arch does this currently is to have the user choose an
arch at the beginning of the book and then throughout the book insert
arch specific information based on that choice into the skeleton of the
LFS book.

It should seem to me then, that one more choice, the host arch, could be
made which will basically only determine whether or not the user is
truly cross-compiling and therefore needs to build a kernel and switch
machines after chapter 5. Since it's already a dynamic book, I can't see
one more variable hurting.

Would still like to hear from Matt, Gerard and Manuel on this one though.

--
Jeremy H.