Planning for Cross-LFS/Multi-Architecture 7.x Release

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Apr 18 23:32:53 PDT 2005

DJ Lucas wrote:
> Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>
>>Jim Gifford wrote:
>>

>>>We are asking Manuel for a way to
>>>put a decision at the beginning of the chapter for a choice, if choice a
>>>- chroot then display these, if choice b - reboot do these. I can work
>>>that in with no problems.
>>

>>I really don't care for that approach.  A discussion and presentation of
>>both approaches in a single book is much more useful to a user. For
>>instance, we do that in BLFS's qt section.
>>
>>  -- Bruce
>

> Yes, but that would not be good with LFS's linear approach.  You make
> one choice towards the end of say chapter 5, either continue on for the
> second portion of chapter 5 or chroot and skip to chapter 6.  Doing it
> linear would leave the chroot group clicking through a buch of useless
> pages.

Oops, bad context.  First I'm chalenging both of the above meaning a
better choice is to branch the book at the middle of chapter 5...or
however the new layout will be.  As far as 'useless pages', I'm sure it
goes without saying, but I didn't mean useless, rather that they would
be useless for the chroot user's task at hand.

-- DJ Lucas