Planning for Cross-LFS/Multi-Architecture 7.x Release

Jim Gifford lfs at jg555.com
Mon Apr 18 22:12:51 PDT 2005

Randy McMurchy wrote:

>Jeremy Utley wrote these words on 04/18/05 23:44 CST:
>

>>There's a lot of plusses to this build, and very few downfalls, when you
>>really sit down to think about it.  Mentioning the need for the reboot
>>was a good thing, but it's important to know WHY that becomes essential
>>- because if we're building for a different arch, the binaries we create
>>as part of the initial tools will not run on the host.  If those
>>binaries will run, there's absolutely no need to reboot.
>>
>>Hopefully this clarifies things.
>>

>It does. But it is a far cry from the original post by Jim a few
>hours ago where the book will have *one* method of building, which
>includes rebooting into the 'tools' host.

I said can be rebooted, not mandatory. We are asking Manuel for a way to
put a decision at the beginning of the chapter for a choice, if choice a
- chroot then display these, if choice b - reboot do these. I can work
that in with no problems.

I think this has been one of the best discussions we have had this year,
I hope we can have more of these in the future.

--
------
jim at linuxfromscratch.org
lfs at jg555.com