Planning for Cross-LFS/Multi-Architecture 7.x Release

Jeremy Utley jeremy at jutley.org
Mon Apr 18 22:05:30 PDT 2005

Randy McMurchy wrote:

>It does. But it is a far cry from the original post by Jim a few
>hours ago where the book will have *one* method of building, which
>includes rebooting into the 'tools' host.
>
>As long as there is provisions to build remotely, using a known
>good host, there is only positives to be gained from the new method.
>However, this isn't what was mentioned by Jim.
>
>I'm glad this discussion has come about. At least there is concern
>about building remotely out in the open. And by building remotely,
>this to me means being able to shell into a box and build LFS
>without rebooting.

Oh believe me, Randy.  I build remotely too (I have my server in the
datacenter, plus my home server that I only have access to via SSH), and
even if the default position of the book was to take the reboot method,
the chroot method could easily be documented in a hints format.  There
wouldn't be so much deviation from the reboot method to the chroot
method that documenting it as a hint wouldn't be feasible, and if it
comes to that, I volunteer to write and maintain the hint.

-J-