Planning for Cross-LFS/Multi-Architecture 7.x Release

Jeremy Utley jeremy at jutley.org
Mon Apr 18 21:14:18 PDT 2005

Randy McMurchy wrote:

>Please, Jim, for me and I'm sure there are others that want to know
>the same thing, can you explain *in a technical manner* how the
>toolchain could be any "cleaner"?

A simple example will document this clearly.  Take building LFS on a
Fedora core release.  In the past, we had issues with our chapter 5
glibc build picking up the presence of SE-Linux in Fedora core 3, which
caused the chapter 5 glibc to also enable SE-Linux.  But, once we got
into chapter 6, it caused the glibc build to barf, because the headers
for selinux were no longer present.  This build process completely
eliminates that situation.  Anything that links to the host does NOT end
up at all in the $LFS tree - the 2 packages which are linked to the host
(cross-gcc and cross-binutils) are prefixed to the build user's home
directory.

HTH,

-J-