Planning for Cross-LFS/Multi-Architecture 7.x Release

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Apr 18 20:27:31 PDT 2005

Ryan.Oliver at pha.com.au wrote these words on 04/18/05 21:55 CST:

> Please folks, have a bit of a think about how things actually work,
> or actually take a look at how it hangs together, before going off
> the deep end

Nobody's gone off the deep end, Ryan. We're just asking questions.
The LFS Editor who announced the proposed changes said there was
2 pitfalls, I mentioned one more and Bruce mentioned another.

The LFS editor said the solution to *one* of the pitfalls is to
install a couple of BLFS packages during the LFS installation.

I commented that using the new proposed methodology would take some
of the zest out of LFS, for me. I'm entitled to an opinion. You
somehow took this personally. It isn't a reflection on your work,
Ryan, but an opinion that I offered (mainly that we somehow keep
the existing build method alive), as Jim mentioned that LFS would
*only* offer the new build method.

As far as the *CURRENT* builders and readers of the book, do you
expect an influx of new readers because we offer cross-build? I
guess what I mean is, will this be the new target audience, and
not the x86 "bitty" (whatever that is) builders?

Your message did not help me understand the changes, Ryan. It came
off as a defensive, poorly phrased way of saying that building LFS
on the x86 platform is for sissys.

--
Randy

22:17:00 up 16 days, 21:50, 3 users, load average: 0.12, 0.06, 0.02