Planning for Cross-LFS/Multi-Architecture 7.x Release

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Apr 18 16:58:27 PDT 2005

Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
In
> fact, unless there is any technical benefit to rebooting into a fresh
> kernel before chapter 6 on matching arch pairs, I think I'd rather see
> the book continue to chroot by default and assume that the user is
> building for the same arch, which would remove some of the pitfalls. The
> cross build-method would still be there to abstract the tools from the
> host machine.
>
> Then, for those who need to build from one arch to another, insert
> instructions on building a kernel and booting with tools on said machine.

Was talking with Jim in IRC and realized from our conversation that my
proposal may not have been very clear.  Here's what I would like to suggest:

Create alternate instructions in the book. If you are building for a
separate arch, build a kernel, and boot your machine with the new tools,
otherwise enter chroot. This way you won't have to keep up two books,
and for those building on the same arch, the book is still linear and
uninterrupted. Of course that would mean that you'd build your kernel at
different points in the book depending on your circumstance.

Thoughts?

Manuel, would it be difficult to arrange the stylesheets so that we have
one kernel page, but two entrances and exits from that page, the one you
use depending on whether or not you're building for a different arch?

--
Jeremy Huntwork