Planning for Cross-LFS/Multi-Architecture 7.x Release

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Apr 18 16:46:55 PDT 2005

Jim Gifford wrote these words on 04/18/05 18:36 CST:

> Randy the message was posted a long time ago and no objections were
> noted. Here is the original post from Matt,
> http://archives.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/lfs-dev/2005-February/050262.html,
> granted it was in a message about the multi-arch book and may have been
> overlooked.

Yes, it was overlooked by me. The thread subject was "Multi-Arch BOOK",
this to me implies a different book, or a different branch of LFS.
I didn't take this to mean that building LFS as we know it will become
extinct.

Don't get me wrong, Jim, I'm all for advanced technologies and updating
the multi-arch capability. But doing so at the expense of making plain
old x86 builds (probably 90+% of the user base) use a new method, one
which has no less than 4 already serious pitfalls mentioned, just seems
a bit out there on the edge.

--
Randy

18:42:00 up 16 days, 18:15, 3 users, load average: 0.22, 0.12, 0.09