Planning for Cross-LFS/Multi-Architecture 7.x Release

Jim Gifford lfs at jg555.com
Mon Apr 18 16:36:35 PDT 2005

Randy McMurchy wrote:

>Jim Gifford wrote these words on 04/18/05 18:10 CST:
>

>>    There may be a simple resolution, since in the MIPS build and some
>>of the other architecture that don't have keyboards and mice, we had to
>>add SSL, and SSH. We could add them to the BOOK as core packages.
>>

>SSL/SSH != minimalistic
>
>I realize your suggestion Jim is a concession to a serious drawback
>in the new methodology, but just in the hour or so since you posted
>you message, there been talk of adding SSS, SSL, Lynx and GPM to
>core LFS (not all mentioned by you, Jim)

    We had to do this for the RaQ2 and sparc(soon to be added) versions
of the book, due to
    the lack of keyboard and mouse on some of these systems. When I also
add the RaQ3, or
    the network-applicances x86 based to the book, they will also have
this same limitation and
    need SSL and SSH.

>What's next?
>
>May I propose keeping the 6.0 branch alive for folks that don't need
>cross-build functionality (probably 90% of LFS builders). Sure, we
>can make a 7.0 branch, but keep the 6.0 branch updated with packages
>as well, I'm sure you'd be able to find many, many more folks willing
>to test out 6.0-type builds, than cross-build techniques.

    That is a very serious possibility, I wouldn't mind keeping a
multi-arch 6.x type branch.

>I think serious discussion on this list needs to take place before
>the 6.0-methodology is dropped. Is this what everyone wants? I really
>don't remember any discussion about this, until now.

Randy the message was posted a long time ago and no objections were
noted. Here is the original post from Matt,
http://archives.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/lfs-dev/2005-February/050262.html,
granted it was in a message about the multi-arch book and may have been
overlooked.

--
------
jim at linuxfromscratch.org