Planning for Cross-LFS/Multi-Architecture 7.x Release

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Apr 18 14:39:04 PDT 2005

Jim Gifford wrote these words on 04/18/05 16:25 CST:
> Randy McMurchy wrote:
>>I mean, using the new method versus the current method, you still
>>end up with the same exact end product, right?
>
> Actually, you get a cleaner toolchain, from my experience with this
> process and a much more minimal system if you so desire.

Please, Jim, for me and I'm sure there are others that want to know
the same thing, can you explain *in a technical manner* how the
toolchain could be any "cleaner"?

I'm thinking byte-for-byte you end up with the same thing, right?

You can already build a more minimal system, by omitting things
you know aren't needed and/or removing them after installation, so
this doesn't play into the picture for me.

I would like someone to explain the *technical* difference in the
final binaries. I don't need to know the methodology, just how one
set of glibc/binutils/gcc and others will differ from ones that are
created using the old method.

Thanks in advance, as I know there is some work involved putting
this information out, but I know I would appreciate it, as I'm sure
many others would as well.

--
Randy

16:33:01 up 16 days, 16:06, 3 users, load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.00