Planning for Cross-LFS/Multi-Architecture 7.x Release

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Apr 18 14:18:58 PDT 2005

Jim Gifford wrote these words on 04/18/05 16:03 CST:

> Another issue will be after the tools are built we will be building a
> cross-compiled kernel, so we can boot into the architecture we are
> building for and complete the build process. There are a few pitfalls to
> this.
>     1 - All sources will also have to be copied over
>          We can add this to our directions, so this could be a
> non-issue, but for those who download packages as
>          you go it may be an issue.
>     2 - No Web Browser
>           You will no long be able to view web pages for the LFS BOOK.
> You will have a local copy or we
>           can add into the directions to download a text copy of the book.

Pitfall #3 - You no longer will be able to work from a nice cozy
xterm window, with nice cut and paste ability. You will have to
work from the system console, with no choice except to type
everything in (or have previously created build scripts).

All three of these would be serious drawbacks to the fun and
enjoyment I get from LFS. For folks that build strictly on X86,
wouldn't the old methodology still be available, just update the
package revisions and build the way we currently are?

I mean, using the new method versus the current method, you still
end up with the same exact end product, right?

--
Randy

16:13:00 up 16 days, 15:46, 3 users, load average: 0.15, 0.06, 0.01