gcc-4.0 branch created

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Apr 17 10:20:45 PDT 2005

Jeremy Utley wrote:

> Then what good, may I ask, is this having this branch, if the rest of
> the packages are not kept current to the book?  Seems to me like it's a
> waste of a branch if it's not going to be kept up to date until gcc 4
> makes it into our mainline book.

Note how every other project handles branching and merging.  Features
are developed on separate branches, then merged with the ever
progressing trunk.  Consider what will happen with an 'svn diff' on the
branch if we stick to the rules outlined above.  Then compare that with
the output of the same command on the branch if other checkins are
allowed too.  Now show me (given the latter) how you'd tell me exactly
what changes are related to gcc-4.0 inclusion, and which aren't.

Regards,

Matt.