Ready for gcc-4 & cleaning up binutils source delete or not.

TheOldFellow theoldfellow at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 22:46:01 PDT 2005

Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> TheOldFellow wrote:
>

>>Actually, since you ask, 35 years ago I had such fun with a teletype,
>>Dartmouth College Basic (I still have the manual) and a time-sharing
>>mainframe (Kent On-Line System), that I joined the industry.
>

> On-Line System?  Wow.  I would have given a lot for that capability in
> 1965.  Punch cards were the only thing available.  No disk--no tty.  Did
> you ever have to punch cards in binary?  You younger guys had it easy.

I still have a box of Hollerith 80 col cards, they are great for
shimming hinges (and fudging elections, I hear).  And, yes, I did punch
them by hand but that was later in 1971 when I started real work, we
also repaired paper tapes (8 col) with a hand punch.  At college we had
IBM 029 automated punch machines - luxury.

> Oh, and FORTRAN was the only high level language.  Nore: That's *not*
> FORTRAN II or FORTRAN IV.

Before Basic, I learnt Algol 60, considered to be a 'superior' HLL, as
it's grammar could be parsed easily.  My wife programmed Fortran though,
the suite ran an automated cardboard factory in the 1970s.

Those were the days when programmers were real men - an 8 meg
exchangable disk took real muscle to lift off the drive, and you could
only get two in the trunk of the car.

But we should probably move this chat....

R.