Ready for gcc-4 & cleaning up binutils source delete or not.

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Apr 16 13:42:52 PDT 2005

TheOldFellow wrote:

> However it's the LFS new technology gestation period that gets me down.
>      And I only have i686 boxes :-(

This isn't meant to sound as harsh as it's going to.  But, if you don't
like the length of time it takes to get new technology into LFS then
post *patches* to the XML book sources, not scripts :)

Additionally, the script you posted does more than just bumps gcc up to
version 4.0.0, there's some other build changes in there too.  To make
things easier to review and to understand and assess the impact of, I
much prefer seeing scripts/patches/discussions on one specific topic at
a time.  I'm not saying the other changes won't be useful and/or
necessary, just that they are probably/possibly orthogonal to upgrading
the compiler.

IIUC, the only thing that is required to bump gcc up to 4.0.0 is deal
with the lack of a specs file (-dumpsecs resolves that one) and the
patches dealing with invalid C rejected by the new compiler.  I'm
willing to be proved wrong on this though, of course :)

Regards,

Matt.