Ready for gcc-4 & cleaning up binutils source delete or not.

TheOldFellow theoldfellow at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 12:52:08 PDT 2005

Randy McMurchy wrote:
> TheOldFellow wrote these words on 04/16/05 14:12 CST:
>

>>I had no difficulty building a reasonably stable gcc-4/glibc-2.3.5
>>system that carried BLFS with just a few patches all the way up to a
>>gnome build (with a few oddities in gnome, I admit, but that's usual
>>with my gnome builds) plus the Mozilla family too.
>

> Hi Richard,
>
> I'm not trying to stir the pot, but would like you to answer one
> simple question for folks like me that don't know the answer, yet
> it is the most important of all.
>
> What advantage do you see in your "reasonably stable" system over
> one that builds "very stable" using existing LFS methods?

Oh, Randy, thanks for asking, and that's easy for me to answer: I do it
for fun.  I don't even need a computer (but I have 5 that work and 2
more in bits), since I'm retired.  Other people have other reasons,
that's fine.  It takes all sorts.

I've talked to lots of LFSers over the years who do it for fun too,
though.  The fun comes from doing what others say is difficult, or even
impossible, and doing it really well.  I particularly like having a
faster Linux system running on old kit, than my friends with Windows XP
(Xtra-Ploddy) on hyper-hardware that cost them an arm and a leg.

That's why I don't use Nathan's superb bootscripts, I roll my own
without even sysVinit.  That's why I don't build LFS Unstable - it's too
easy.  Back with LFS 2.4 everything was an adventure, and there was no
BLFS to hold your hand building a working workstation or server.  (I'm a
great fan of BLFS BTW, a few minor bits I wrote, or were derived from my
hints)

Actually, since you ask, 35 years ago I had such fun with a teletype,
Dartmouth College Basic (I still have the manual) and a time-sharing
mainframe (Kent On-Line System), that I joined the industry.  It was
only when it ceased being fun that I retired so I could build Linux (for
fun) and do Cabinet Making (for Fun) and ride my bike (to live forever)
and climb mountains (because it's a damn good excuse to eat steak and
drink lots of beer afterwards).

I think LFS/BLFS should be about the fun of learning - if you want a
stable platform, buy Red Hat.  YMMMV, that's OK too.

R.