Ready for gcc-4 & cleaning up binutils source delete or not.

TheOldFellow theoldfellow at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 08:54:28 PDT 2005

I think it might be time to get ready for the imminent release of gcc-4.
 The key thing that needs to be fixed in the (unstable) book is the
management of gcc's specs.

I've learnt quite a bit about this from Greg Shafer's scripts, and
attached you'll find a somewhat LFS-ised set of instructions with my
comments on how the method works.  There isn't any rocket science here,
but a handy listing of Gcc's man page is helpful in understanding this -
and it works fine with gcc-3 too.  The section entitled 'Options for
Debugging Your Program or GCC' is the relevant bit.

I'm also attracted to Greg's method of carrying binutils information
forward.  I like it most because it removes that newbie confusion over
'shall I delete the sources?'.  This is worth incorporating just for itself.

Of course, we could start lfs-hackers again...   ;-)