grammar section 7.4

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Apr 16 08:37:58 PDT 2005

Allard Welter wrote:
> Section 7.4, last sentence (grammar and spelling):
>
> in negligable -> is negligible

Thanks.

> Section 7.4.1, second paragraph (tense):
>
> Last two sentences should be past tense again (from: The devfs file
> system also suffers from race ...) unless of course these problems are
> still manifest in the present implementation in which case it reads a
> little odd.

As mentioned, those race conditions are a product of devfs' design,
hence will be present as long as devfs is.  Could you explain your POV
that "it reads a little odd"?  To me, the whole of 7.4.1 is in the past
tense (and rightly so, given its title of "History").

Thinking about it some more, I'm not sure we need all of that historical
stuff in there anyway, simply explain how we handle devices and modules
in LFS and leave it at that.

> All of a sudden section 7.4 goes to third
> person (and second). Not that I have anything against the more personal
> approach, just pointing out an inconsistency.

I can't think of how this could be reworded, though I agree that
consistency is important.  Care to prepare a patch?

Regards,

Matt.