LFS 6.1-testing issues

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at swbell.net
Wed Apr 13 05:50:03 PDT 2005

Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
> 1) is there any difference in the output of "stty -a" on the livecd and or
> your system? Post both.
> 2) does a "stty erase ^?" or "stty sane" fix your problem? If it does, please
> find out why this is not the default on your system.

Interesting.  On my new system:

#stty -a
speed 9600 baud; rows 60; columns 80; line = 0;
intr = ^C; quit = ^\; erase = ^H; kill = ^U; eof = ^D; eol = <undef>;
eol2 = <undef>; start = ^Q; stop = ^S; susp = ^Z; rprnt = ^R; werase = ^W;
lnext = ^V; flush = ^O; min = 1; time = 0;
-parenb -parodd cs8 hupcl -cstopb cread -clocal -crtscts
-ignbrk -brkint -ignpar -parmrk -inpck -istrip -inlcr -igncr icrnl ixon
ixoff
-iuclc -ixany -imaxbel
opost -olcuc -ocrnl onlcr -onocr -onlret -ofill -ofdel nl0 cr0 tab0 bs0
vt0 ff0
isig icanon -iexten echo echoe echok -echonl -noflsh -xcase -tostop -echoprt
echoctl echoke

#stty sane

#stty -a
speed 9600 baud; rows 60; columns 80; line = 0;
intr = ^C; quit = ^\; erase = ^?; kill = ^U; eof = ^D; eol = <undef>;
eol2 = <undef>; start = ^Q; stop = ^S; susp = ^Z; rprnt = ^R; werase = ^W;
lnext = ^V; flush = ^O; min = 1; time = 0;
-parenb -parodd cs8 hupcl -cstopb cread -clocal -crtscts
-ignbrk brkint -ignpar -parmrk -inpck -istrip -inlcr -igncr icrnl ixon
-ixoff
-iuclc -ixany imaxbel
opost -olcuc -ocrnl onlcr -onocr -onlret -ofill -ofdel nl0 cr0 tab0 bs0
vt0 ff0
isig icanon iexten echo echoe echok -echonl -noflsh -xcase -tostop -echoprt
echoctl echoke

vim's behavior changes after stty sane and works correctly!
Investigating further, even though stty sane changes several values, the
only one that is needed is "stty erase ^?".

> No, the problem is in fact the opposite (i.e. Bruce does the opposite of the
> fix mentioned there). As I said earlier, by deviating from that setup, one
> breaks Emacs and well-written apps.

As I said earlier, I didn't follow vim's advice about changing the
keycode, but merely fixed it in vimrc.

In any case, we are getting closer.  I did follow the book precisely and
took the option of not changing anything in the console configuration.
This worked in the past.  It would certainly be easy enough to throw in
a "stty sane" or "stty erase ^?" in /etc/profile, but the question now
is why is that necessary?

   -- Bruce